We're talking cheesecake. But not any cheesecake... A chocolate cookie crust, an ooey gooey fudgy brownie mixed into a velvety cheesecake topped with glossy rich ganache. Diabetes on a plate? Maybe. Delicious? Most definitely.
The recipe is in four stages and the brownies can be made 4 days in advance stored in the fridge, or 10 days in advance in the freezer! The whole cheesecake can be kept in the fridge for 4 days. It tastes better with a little time actually as the favours blend and develop.
Chocolate Cookie Brownie Cheesecake Cake Recipe:*I've adapted Mel's recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe slightly. Always trust her when it comes to cheesecakes!
- Make the Brownies! Heat your oven at 180C. Line a 20 x 20 cm baking pan with parchment paper and grease lightly. In a big microwavable bowl melt all of the butter and chocolate together. Do it in 30 sec bursts so that the butter doesn't boil, stir after each one. Once the mixture is smooth stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one by one and then add the vanilla. Add the flour and salt. Stir to mix well. The batter should be thick. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for about 25 mins or when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool and then cut into 2cm cubes. Put these in the fridge to chill.
- Make the crust! Take one packet of digestives biscuits and blend them to make crumbs. If you don't have a blender you can put the cookies in a ziplock bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they are crumbs. Pour the crumbs in a big bowl and mix the melted butter and salt until the crumbs stick together to form bigger pea size crumbs. It should all stick together when pressed with your hands. Transfer the crumb mixture to your buttered springform pan. (it must be loose bottomed or else you won't get your cheesecake out!). Press down on the crumbs so that it forms an even base. Press more mixture up the sides of the pan to form a crust all around. Put the pan in the fridge whilst you make your cheesecake.
- Make the cheesecake! Reheat your oven to 180C. With an electric mixer (or a whisk and a good arm) beat the cream cheese until smooth, soft and fluffy. Add the eggs beating well after each. Add sugar and vanilla, mix well so that everything is incorporated.
- Add the brownies! Make sure they are nice and cold, you should probably taste one or two cubes to check for perfect temperature. Fold 2 cups of the brownies gently into the cheesecake batter. Pour the whole thing into your cookie crumb lined pan. You'll have extra brownies... I'm sure that won't be too much of an issue!
- Bake the cheesecake for 40 - 45 mins or until it is "set" 8cm from the sides and still giggly in the middle.
- Cool the cheesecake completely. When completely cold top with ganache.
- Make the ganache! Heat up the milk and butter until it is just about to boil in a pan. Whilst it's heating chop your chocolate into really small chunks and place in a bowl. Pour the scalding hot cream onto your chocolate and stir until everything is molten and smooth. Pour the ganache onto the cheesecake.
- Chill until it is ready to be served!