First up was the Geysir. Another must if you are visiting Iceland. It's a fun thing to go see but I wouldn't hype it up too much. It can be busy and the massive Geysir doesn't 'erupt' at the moment, so the one you see in the picture is a baby one. Definitely go check it out, but don't make a day of it.
I really wanted to see the tectonic plates in the Thingvellir National Park. If you have time and a licence definitely go scuba diving or snorkeling between them. It is said to be the clearest water in the world.
Silfra Tectonic Plates
I wish we had a polariser on this lens to really show you how deep the crevasse went...
From the National Park it is a relatively short drive to another hot pool, so we thought we would finish our last day properly. I am so glad we did as this was the best one of them all! It's called Hrunalaug GPS: N64.140339°, W20.259107°
It was the perfect temperature and had a little house to change in, it has two different baths so more than one group of people could use it at once, and is only a 5 minute walk from where you can park your car.
Having relaxed we drove back to Reykjavik where we had our final meal and said our goodbyes u to this tiny and wonderful island that is Iceland.
Final tips and useful links:
- Rent a car. Preferably a 4x4 if you are planning on doing more than route 1. Take the insurance that covers everything as there are lots of little rocks that could crack a windscreen etc...
- If you are doing the whole island do it clockwise, saves the most packed area for last without spoiling your expectations for the begining
- If you want to see the northern lights download an app or check a website which has KP indexes and an hourly cloud coverage report
- Use this website for all hostels: http://www.hostel.is/
- You can find some kickass airbnbs too
- If you want to do the blue lagoon, go to the one in the north rather than the touristy one near the airport
- Go hike!
- Check out all hot pools using: http://hotpoticeland.com/
- Layer layer layer
- If you want to eat cheap, gas stations serve really good hotdogs and fat free healthy yoghurt called Skyr. This with some granola should have your breakfasts and lunches sorted.
- Download a very detailed map on your iphone / ipad for when you will be lost.
Good luck! xox